This was the first foreign hydroelectric power plant project undertaken by Recchi, in partnership with the Milan-based company Edison. It was commissioned by the Greek government. The plant, which was completed in 1954, was built immediately after the one at Agra, in Macedonia, and marked an important step in Greece's electrification programme. When it was built, the plant on the River Ladhon was the highest capacity hydroelectric station in Greece, in a region when there were practically no other energy sources or large industries. The aim of the project was to foster the development of new factories and promote the expansion of agriculture in the Peloponnese. The project consisted of building a 50-metre high hollow gravity type dam, using 26,300 cubic metres of concrete, to create a huge seasonal reservoir with 50 million cubic metres of storage capacity.